Claire Brody on the Rise
Success and the pursuit of summer style.
At 24, Claire Brody has accomplished an impressive body of work that has made her a minister of taste within the interior-design world. Her curated aesthetic and whimsical use of color have garnered her notice among the city’s design mavens. She worked her way up from design assistant to successful business owner and social media sensation, with more than 6,000 followers on Instagram alone.
Seeing success at such a young age, Brody is thankful for the growth that she has seen as a business owner and is a strong believer in following a career path that inspires people to do what they love.
“Follow your heart! When I was 18, I did what I thought I was supposed to do and pursued a career that I thought was right for me, but I knew it wouldn’t be fulfilling in the long run,” Brody says.
“I lacked confidence and couldn’t imagine myself doing what I do now. I wish I knew what I do now, although I don’t think I would change anything.”
Her love for design stems from her mother, who constantly worked on remodeling projects from the time Brody was a little girl.
“My mom is very creative and has beautiful taste,” Brody says. “I remember her constantly rearranging our living room, and she was always working on a remodel project in our home. It was intriguing to me, but I actually remember thinking, ‘I wonder if I can ever do that?’ I’ve always had an interest in decorating and styling, but it hadn’t occurred to me that I could make a career out of it.”
In the interior-design world, change is an inevitable concept. With summer approaching, it is only a matter of time before we start making changes to our own outdoor living spaces. For those of us who lack the creative gene, we often look to the pages of Elle Décor or Home & Design and wonder what we can do to recreate those stylish spaces. You can transform your outdoor living space from garden-variety to burgeoning oasis. We outline Brody’s top tips and tricks for elevating your outdoor space to the sanctuary you always dreamed of.
Back to Basics
1. Add several seating options such as an outdoor sectional, quaint wood folding chairs or comfy poufs.
2. Curate your own personal selection of accessories, such as antique furniture pieces, unique outdoor pillows and rugs, which will also help to define the living space.
3. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Seek out pieces that really speak to you, no matter how off-kilter they may seem.
Outdoor pillows, $39.50 each, potterybarn.com
Outdoor square mineral pouf, $199, crateandbarrel.com
Top Five Colors for Summer
1. Blue, in all its beautiful shades, creates a sense of serenity and luxury. There are no rules on how to use it.
2. Custard yellow because the warmth this color brings when paired with a blue or teal is breathtaking.
3. Green will forever say summer more than any other color. It brings life to a space because it is the color of life.
4. Orange because who doesn’t love a pop of color?
5. Red, which brings warmth and energy to a space.
Yellow arabesque indoor-outdoor rug, $40 to $750, worldmarket.com
1. Candle lanterns are always a charming solution to adding lighting to an outdoor space. Consider finding pieces that are unique, vintage and contrast each other to create an eclectic look.
2. Torches tend to be often overlooked because of their tacky past. Today’s market provides an exceptional array of various styles of torches that will suit your own personal style.
3. Think overhead lighting. Consider hanging a pot rack from the ceiling and add an array of candles to create a beautiful statement.
Avignon light string, $64, restorationhardware.com
1. Instead of purchasing a matching outdoor set of furniture, go for a layered look to add personality and interest to your space.
2. Think thrifty. Craigslist and Goodwill are affordable options that will most likely have something to suit every style.
3. Contrast your dining table with comfortable chairs, benches or both to create visual interest.
4. Consider finishes that are outdoor-safe.
Echo Beach dining table, $429.99, pier1.com
Preserve and Protect
1. Preserve your coveted furniture pieces from the sun by placing them under a covered patio with luxurious outdoor fabric drapes.
2. Increase the life expectancy of your wood pieces by applying a layer of latex paint for a refreshing look that both protects and beautifully exhibits your curated pieces.
3. Store outdoor throw pillows and cushions in a safe area such as an outdoor bench that also doubles as a storage unit.