Gourmet: Two Treats and a Trick
No cauldron bubble is required to tuck into this trio of spoils.
Candy apples: the quintessential Halloween treat that no one actually eats. And with good reason; they are messy to make and even more grueling to gobble. However, two new twists on this classic treat can be prepped ahead of time for any household’s All Hallows’ Eve.
Still not convinced? Instead, try our ultimate hostess trick: a two-ingredient goodie that screams last-minute teacher gift.
The far-out treat for ghosts and ghouls:
Galaxy Candy Apple Pops
3 large Red Delicious apples
1 cup blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers
12 5-inch-long lollipop sticks
Miniature cookie cutter
Edible glitter, shimmer and stars (You can find these at most craft stores.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. While the oven is heating, slice the edges off opposite ends of each apple. Then cut 1-inch-thick apple slices from both edges, avoiding the core. The slices should lay flat. A large Red Delicious yields one slice per side.
3. U sing the miniature cookie cutter, cut shapes into the apple slices.
4. Insert the lollipop sticks into the apple cutouts.
5. Place the unwrapped Jolly Ranchers into a small baking dish and melt them in the oven for about five minutes, or until pliable.
6. Dip the apple pops into the melted candy and set them on the parchment paper. Let them harden for two to three minutes.
7. Dust the apple pops with edible glitter, shimmer and stars before they’re completely cooled. The candy hardens quickly, so it may need to be reheated in the oven for an additional 60 seconds at a time.
The simple, satisfying apple of your eye:
Chocolate and Caramel Sliced Apples
4 large Granny Smith apples
16 9-inch-long lollipop sticks
1 bottle Magic Shell chocolate
1 bottle Magic Shell caramel Sprinkles (optional)
1. Slice the edges off opposite ends of each apple. Then cut 1/2-inch-thick apple slices from both edges, avoiding the core. The slices should lay flat. A large Granny Smith yields two slices per side.
2. Insert the lollipop sticks into the apple slices.
3. Freeze the apple slices for at least 15 minutes or as long as overnight.
4. Drizzle the frozen apples with chocolate and caramel Magic Shell. Add sprinkles if desired.
5. Freeze the apples overnight or serve immediately.
The sweet and salty snack in a snap:
Halloween Hostess Treat
Equal parts candy corn and store-bought, honeyroasted peanuts (We recommend serving 1/2 cup of each.) Container of choice (Miniature mason jars make for a nice presentation.)
Mix the candy corn and roasted peanuts together and pour the mixture into the container of your choice.